Hammerson was established in 1942 by Lewis Hammerson, originally developing residential property then expanding into commercial property in 1948. Hammerson became a public company in 1954, and began a programme of partnering with local authorities to redevelop UK cities’ retail offer. The Company opened Brent Cross, the UK’s first covered mall, in 1976, and expanded into French commercial property in 1985. As mentioned in the Chief Executive’s report, Hammerson focuses on winning retail locations.
Lewis Hammerson sets up company to invest in real estate, converting houses into apartments.
L.W. Hammerson & Co expands into commercial property.
Company goes public and changes its name to Hammerson Property and Investment Trust.
Lewis Hammerson dies and is succeeded as Chairman by Sydney Mason. Focus of group shifts to office and shopping centre development.
First partnership with a local authority sees the re-development of Bradford city retail quarter.
Hammerson moves into Australia, New Zealand and the US.
The group expands into Canada and Europe.
Together with a partner, the group develops property in Amsterdam, Brussels and Paris.
Opening of Brent Cross Shopping Centre, the first major enclosed shopping centre in the UK.
Name of group changed to The Hammerson Property Investment and Development Corporation plc.
Hostile takeover bid for Hammerson by Dutch institution Rodamco rejected by shareholders.
Ron Spinney, appointed Chief Executive. Rights issue raised £200 million. Group refocuses its activities on those territories where it has critical mass.
Redevelopment of 99 Bishopsgate, London EC2 completed.Hammerson acquires interest in Espace St Quentin, a major shopping centres in France and commences redevelopment of 54 boulevard Haussmann, Paris 9e.
Office redevelopment site purchased at 40 rue de Courcelles, Paris 8e. Former Bull Ring shopping centre in Birmingham acquired.
Hammerson achieves “Investment in People” accreditation.Office redevelopment at Globe House, London WC2, pre-let to BAT plc.
Acquisition of Italie 2, Paris 13eme.Canadian interests sold.
Ron Spinney appointed Chairman.John Richards appointed Chief Executive.
Opening of major retail scheme, The Oracle, Reading.
Opening of major retail scheme, WestQuay, Southampton.
Sale of 280 Bishopsgate, London, for £219 million.Group secures largest ever pre-let in the City at Bishops Square development. Hammerson acquires publicly quoted Grantchester Holdings plc giving it critical mass in the retail parks sector.
Completion of office developments at 53 quai d’Orsay and 148 rue d’Université, Paris.
Acquisition of Bercy 2, Paris.
Opening of Bullring Shopping Centre, Birmingham, following Europe’s largest retail-led urban regeneration project.
Hammerson plc adopts the (“SIIC”) tax exempt regime for its French business.Additional 50% interest in WestQuay Shopping Centre, Southampton, acquired for £203 million.
Admission of Hammerson to FTSE 100.John Nelson succeeds Ron Spinney as Chairman.
Development of Bishops Square, Spitalfields, London E1 completed showing a surplus of £157 million.
Major retail schemes started in Bristol and Leicester.
Villebon 2 retail park, near Paris, acquired for £105 million.
Redevelopment started at former Stock Exchange building at 125 Old Broad Street, London EC2.Hammerson head office relocated to 10 Grosvenor Street, London W1.
Hammerson adopts tax exempt REIT status in the UK.
Completion and sale of 9 place Vendome, Paris.
Acquisition of Grand Maine shopping centre in Angers, France.
One London Wall, London sold for £67 million.
Major expansion and refurbishment of Highcross, Leicester opened.
Retail-led regeneration scheme, Cabot Circus in Bristol completed.
David Atkins is appointed CEO
Union Square Aberdeen opens
Acquisition of SQY Ouest for €38 million
Acquisition of St Martin’s retail portfolio, including Centrale, Croydon
Announcement of change in strategy to focus on retail property
Disposal of London Office assets
Acquisition of Junction Fund retail parks portfolio
Hammerson and Westfield sign Joint Venture for £1billion Croydon Town Centre regeneration